Monday, August 9, 2010

Freedom...

The days of me not being able to see the TV from the couch, my glasses fogging up when opening the dishwasher, the hassle of contact lenses, fingerprints from small grubby fingers grabbing at my glasses are OVER!! I am now "lens" free!!
My glasses (minus my very first pair)

I started wearing glasses when I was 15 and I'm now 34...that's almost 20 years of wearing glasses and/or contacts. I replaced my original glasses with the top ones in 1999, the 2nd pair in 2006, this pair Anna broke an arm off that couldn't be "properly" fixed, which explains the 3rd pair that I got right before I had Maiya in 2008. I wore contacts the majority of the time and as my contact supply dwindled, we figured with the cost of a contact eye exam plus a year supply of contacts that it was smarter for us to put the money toward Lasik. I started getting information from different places that offered Lasik... I think I called every place in Utah County! We'd been getting emails from The Lasik Vision Institute, so we went in for an evaluation, found that I was a candidate for Lasik (which most people are) and scheduled the procedure.
One last picture with glasses (sans make-up per instructed)

On the day (7/26) of the procedure we dropped the girls off at Don & Rhonies house (thanks again Rhonie), grabbed some lunch and checked in for my 1:15 Lasik appointment. The actual procedure was so fast, it's crazy. I spent more time in the waiting room and talking with the other people who were also getting Lasik (which is hard when most of us had taken a Valium), than I did with my eye's held opened!! I did end up with a migraine later that day/night which was awful and my eyes burned, but by 10:30 that night I felt fine and was seeing great! My brain still isn't used to the fact that I'm not wearing glasses or contacts, I still find myself "adjusting" my glasses!! I will tell you that if you have any sort of aversion of dropping your eyes Lasik will not be for you. I had to drop my eyes every 3o minutes with artificial tears for 3 days (I had to set a timer to remember), anti-biotic eye drops 4 times a day for a week and an anti-inflammatory drop 4 times a day for a week. That's a lot of eye drops people!!

I was also instructed to sleep with "night guards" for one week. Now I knew that I was going to need to do this and imagined something sort of like swim goggles, but I was sent home with clear plastic shields that I was suppose to TAPE on!! Ummm, no thank you!! The "guards" were to big for my face so the first night I slept with sunglasses on!! Ben was able to mold them a little bit better to my face and I attached some elastic to them and we ended up with this...

I know...super cute!!

I have had zero complications (minus the migraine) since my procedure and I can see great!! I am so glad that I had it done and would recommend The Lasik Vision Institute to anyone...tell them Karen sent ya!!

PS...While the girls were at Aunt Rhonie's house she had them make bird feeders out of a juice carton and they turned out so cute!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

those are some cute bird house you have over there! (so glad you can see) love ya!

Kim said...

ps love love love those "night guards" you could totally pull off that look during the day

Karen & Ben said...

Thanks Kim...I think I'll go as a fly for Halloween!! :)

dasrls said...

Your girls are complete angels! We will watch them anytime.