Monday, August 3, 2009

New knee...


I've posted a close up of her knee/incision at the bottom of the post...take a peek or don't!! :)

We met with Maiya's pediatric orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Woiczik (pronounced "Why-Check"), this morning. She removed the bandage and splint and examined the incision. Maiya's knee is still slightly swollen, but she felt that was to be expected from having such a bad infection and surgery 9 days ago. The sutures are dissolvable and the Stri-Strips will fall off over time. Maiya is having some routine blood tests tomorrow for her white blood count and her 'CRP' number and that will give us a better idea if the infection is going away. Maiya will continue to see Dr. Woiczik a couple of times for a year to monitor growth of her leg, which Dr. Woiczik feels will be normal.

Maiya is doing great with her antibiotics. We do them three times a day, 6:00 am, 2:00 pm and then 10:00 pm. It's pretty easy (much to my relief) and I've been able to do the 2:00 meds by myself.

Semi-gross picture time...


Poor baby :(

6 comments:

Lynnette said...

Knowing this baby she will pick those steri strips right off, better keep her in long pants. It must feel good to have that splint off. She looks happy!

GRITS said...

You know, I think scars are cool. She'll have a good story to tell when she's older. :)

Pickett said...

WOW that is quit the incision... Poor girl, I agree though imagine the stories she is going to be able to tell when she is older .

Kim said...

she looks really good! I agree with mom she is a "picker". maybe you should keep it covered a little. but she looks really good and happy. (and a lot cooler in this heat with not wrapping to her hip) Love you!

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a bummer. Hope she is feeling better soon. How in the world did you ever notice a knee infection? My word!
Would think that watching all those babies go through splint placements, and removals we would be a little tougher than we are. I had to take Porter to Instacare for stitches a couple weeks ago and nearly lost it.

Mush...I have turned into complete mush when it comes to my kids hurting!

La said...

Awww, so sad! I am so glad she is doing better! Is she in any pain when she moves it? She looks so happy, you'll have to show her pics of how tough she was when she gets older & gets owies!
xoxox