And at least in this house we are s-l-o-w-l-y winning!! I say slowly because just when I think that we have killed the last fly a new batch appear...ugg!!
Two weeks ago I bought some peaches to can and after a day or two, we noticed them. So we put the peaches out on the deck and I quickly canned them the next day and our house was "fruit fly" free for 2 days. Then it started. My friend and behind door neighbor asked us if we had "fruit flies" to which I said no, she told me that she had them so bad, but she had no fruit in the house. She called her "bug guy" who told her that he had already had several calls from "Summit Ridge" people with the same compliant and that we most likely had "Drain Flies" which are identical to a fruit fly but lay eggs and hatch in drains and are very hard to get rid of. We have since talked with other neighbors and EVERYONE has them!! One of our neighbors told me that she cleaned her bathroom mirror with vinegar and 15 minutes later the entire mirror was covered in these flies. I've "googled" how to get rid of them and we have had a cup of vinegar out on our counter everyday for the last 2 weeks and I have poured bleach down my drains. I have discovered some tricks to trapping them and killing them. I found that Apple Cider vinegar works the best. After doing that for several days I read to add a handful of soap suds to the top of the vinegar, this will trap and suffocate the flies.
(This is a lovely decoration isn't it)
So if you come to visit, please pardon the flies buzzing around your head, the dead flies in the vinegar, oh and don't mind the "stinky feet" smell.ETA: I just talked with my friend and she had their house "fogged" this past weekend and they still have flies!!


5 comments:
so yucky!!! Hope all of SR is soon bug free (and that is sad about cassie having her house fogged and it not helping, maybe youshould move closer:) we don't have drain flies here, just stink bugs, and they are yucky too! just not in the house)
I think the cup of vinegar is a lovely addition to any kitchen decor. Personally, I've chosen apples. :) Sorry about your drain flies.
I used a whole gallon of white vinegar to clean Kurtis' bathroom. I think I would take that over the fly problem...
Blech! We have them from our peaches. My friend said a good trick is to put a pit in the bottom of a cup, then make a funnel out of paper and stick it inside the cup. He said the go in but don't come out. Worth a shot I guess. Good luck in the battle!
did great last night! hopefully you guys up/down there can get this mess figured out...before the first frost!
Post a Comment