Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Honoring Jake...


This past weekend Ben and I were able to go to Arizona and attend the funeral services for Ben's cousin Jake who was killed in Afghanistan. It was an experience that I will never forget. The sound of the National Anthem being sung was incredible, I don't think there was a dry eye while it was being sung. I know that I had trouble singing it without crying and I will think of Jake whenever I hear it.
Thanks for being our hero Jake!!
"O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

Motorcade...



Graveside service...




Jake's daughter (I love how she is wearing his dog tags)
Jake fiance' Megan
Aunt Amy receiving her son's flag

2 comments:

Kim said...

what a beautiful post! From what you have told me about Jake he was a true hero! I love that picture of his daughter. You have some great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Yes Karen you did get some great pics. Thanks for coming. I am sorry I couldnt visit with you more.

A HERO NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN!